Tuesday, February 28, 2012

PeopleTools 8.51 & Exchange 2010 revisited

We went into production on the Exchange 2010 server last Friday.  The Exchange server admins were able to set the TarpitInterval based on where the email was originating.

Also we changed the code that sends hundreds of emails in TAM to a batched process.  

Here are the exchange commands we used and the settings changed.

Set-ReceiveConnector –Identity servername\relayconnectorname –ConnectionTimeout  00:20:00
Set-ReceiveConnector –Identity servername\relayconnectorname -TarpitInterval  00:00:00
Set-ReceiveConnector –Identity servername\relayconnectorname –MaxAcknowledgementDelay 00:00:00

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Update on the 501 / AJAX error

I originally thought that the Microsoft bug was just for IE 7 & IE 8 on Windows XP.  We had fixed the problem in XP with IE 7.  But we had people upgrading to Windows 7 with IE 8 and they started getting the problem again. That XP only info was tied to something read from a blog post. With more careful reading of the actual MS article, it looks like this bug applies to all users of IE 7 & IE 8, no matter what version of Windows you are using.  The linked Microsoft KB article has instructions for how to apply the fix to your registry.

Monday, February 13, 2012

Three Intermittent Issues

We have three Tools related issues we are continuing to work on.  The first is something that we thought was solved.  Users intermittently get http 501 errors.  In "External Applicants and Browsers" we addressed AJAX issues, including the 501 error.  The PeopleSoft Experts blog entry has a great deal of information about issue and the Microsoft registry fix.  Microsoft documents the error as a problem for IE 7 & 8 users on Windows XP.  We had IE 7 users on XP, applied the registry patch, and all was good.  But now users upgrading to Windows 7, using IE 8, and having the problem again.  This issue may be related to bug 11870611.

The second issue we are seeing is that a user is actively using PeopleSoft and their session times out.  It's not a common occurrence.  The user has used the New Window link to open a second window.  This issue could be related to report ID 13096404.

The last one is where users are stuck in a processing state.  They can sit at a page for ten minutes or longer, and it will stay in processing.  But if they log out and log back in, they can complete the transaction right away.  I thought that this issue was related to bug 11625722, but support said that bug doesn't relate to us since we are on Tools 8.51.13.  They have us cleaning up some errors in the application server logs.  I'll be surprised if it makes any difference.

See the later post on the 501/AJAX error here.

2nd Update
See the latest users stuck in processing here.

3rd Update: See Stuck-in-Processing Solved